Wednesday, October 17, 2012
Love Story
The morning was very busy clinic. Around 9:30 a grandfather in his 70s came to open the stitches on the wound through his mother. I set up the file and asked him to wait, because all the doctors are busy and he may only be handled at least 1 hour. While waiting, the old man seemed nervous, intermittently glancing at his watch. I feel sorry for. So while it is a time to spare I examined the wound. It seems pretty good, it is dry and staying open seams and put a new bandage. The work is not too difficult, so the doctor's approval, I decided to do it myself.
While addressing his wound, I asked him if he had another appointment to seem in a hurry. The old man said no, he wanted to go to a nursing home for lunch with his wife, as he did every day. He told me that his wife had been treated there since quite some time and his wife suffering from Alzheimer's disease. Then I asked if she would be upset if he was late. She replied that she was no longer able to recognize him since last 5 years. I was very surprised and said,
"You still go there every day even if your wife does not know anymore?"
He smiled as he patted my hand and said,
"He did not recognize me, but I still recognize him, right?"
I hold back tears until the old man left, my hands still shiver. That's the kind of love I want in my life. True love is not a physical or romantic. True love is to accept what is happening there today, which is already happening, will happen, and that will never happen.
For me this experience delivering the important message:
The happiest person does not have to have the best of everything, but they can do the best with what they have ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment